Michigan APCO Historian
Michigan APCO History
The Michigan Chapter of APCO was chartered April 4th, 1944, as Chapter Number Five (5).
The officers at that time were:
Kenneth Conroy, President, City of Detroit
George Dodge, Vice-President, Michigan State Police
Edward Zick, Second-Vice President, Berrien County
Allen Sanderson, Secretary/Treasurer, Highland Park
There were fifty-one (51) members present at the organizational meeting. Dues were four (4) dollars annually.
The City of Detroit was a pioneer in police radio. They are the longest continuous running dispatch operation beginning April 7th, 1928. It was from these humble beginnings that the federal government was petitioned to legally allow radio broadcasts of police dispatch. This help lead to the formation of the FCC and APCO.
The Michigan State Police was also an early leader of police radio. They were part of the relay system to send communications across the country. Currently the Michigan State Police maintains the largest trucked radio system in the nation. It began operations in January of 1977.
Michigan Members have always been active in APCO since its National inception in 1934. The Michigan Chapter has had five (5) National Presidents:
Edwin C. Densteadt, 1936
Frank Walker, 1943
Walter B. Williams, 1952
R. James Evans, 1961
Russell V. Robinson, 1982
The Michigan Chapter has hosted the National Conference three (3) times:
1953, Conference Chair, Walter Williams
1978, Chair Russell Robinson
1995, Chair Richard Rybicki
They were all members of the Detroit Police Department, Communications Division.
The APCO Bulletin was published in Detroit through the 1940's and 1950's. Robert Mix of the Detroit Police was the publisher.
The Michigan Chapter hosts an Annual Training and Vendor Conference. The first one was in 1983 at the McMullen Training Center on Higgins Lake. It has been held at various venues across the State since then.
The First Michigan Chapter Meeting
The First Michigan Chapter Meeting was held at the Detroit Police Radio Station on Friday, February 4th, 1943.
A Tradition Carried On Since 1954
An Annual Meeting and Awards dinner is held Annually in Frankenmuth MI. Motorola has hosted the meeting and Famous Chicken Dinner since 1954.